Thursday, March 3, 2016

Watercolor Poppies with Sweet Stamps LLC

Hello everyone, I hope your March is great and snow starts to melt :)  For Sweet Stamps, I have started this month with watercolor, and I think I may just continue that theme throughout the month.  I am learning how to watercolor, and I'm really enjoying it.  I have been an acrylic painter for years, so I'm no stranger to a brush, but it is a task to learn a new medium.  I find myself attempting to make acrylic rules  work for watercolor lol, and that's not how it's supposed to be done, lol.

For this project, I made two cards, essentially identical, except for the colors.


I stamped the image using Tim Holtz Distress Ink in Antique Linen, so the lines were barely visible.  Then I painted them with my Cotman watercolors.  The background is dry embossed using my Cuttlebug.  The floral image is Poppies ATC 1007 by Sweet Stamps, and the sentiment is Beautiful Day 919 from Sweet Stamps.


This image is so versatile, and poppies come in all kinds of colors, not just the red that we see all the time, and associate with poppies :)  So why  not go out of my comfort zone and try a blue one too?


There are two lessons I learned while creating these cards: one is that when painting watercolor images, there is a lot of waiting time, so creating more than one card at a time is very beneficial, and efficient!  The second lesson is that I should have painted a background before starting to paint the focal image.  After the image was painted, I decided I wanted a background, but was worried about ruining the flowers that I had already painted.  Lessons learned lol.

Come back and visit often for more Sweet Stamps inspiration, and you can visit the Sweet Stamps blog for tons more inspiration from the rest of the talented design team!  Visit the shop for tons of great stamps and other papercrafting tools and stamps :)

No comments:

Post a Comment