Monday, August 11, 2014

Some Tips & Tricks: Paper Piecing and Old Book Paper

So you want to try some of these techniques, but don't know the ins and outs?  Well, let me tell you, there's only one way to do it, and that is to jump right in and give it a try!

One of the things I love about being a creative person, is that even if it doesn't turn out the way it was supposed to, or you don't know how to make it the way you want it...if you try, you learn.  So, here are a few of the things I discovered while trying paper piecing and coloring on old book paper :)

Paper Piecing:

Wow, fussy cutting is hard work!  LOL!  The main thing I learned from this technique is that you have to make sure and remember to color the edges of your cuts.  In my "Happiness" mini album, using the "Chi" Tiddly Inks digital stamp, I used my Black Soot Distress Ink and gave it a light brush down the edges with the distress tool.  In the small places where the tool wouldn't fit, I used a paint brush.  Simple, but sometimes over looked.  As this was a piece I created for a Design Team Application, I wanted to make sure nothing was overlooked.



Coloring on book paper:

I have tried this technique a couple times, and have been thrilled with the outcome every time.  That being said, there are still lessons learned in every piece.  With this technique, I learned that it is very hard to color an image stamped in black, on top of black print on an old book page.  Sometimes it's difficult to see the difference between the image lines and the print.  My hint?  Print or stamp a second image on plain white card stock to use as a guide.  This really helps.  The second lesson I learned was this:  sometimes, the print on the paper works against you.  In regards to shading and highlight, sometimes you have to darken your shading or lighten your highlighting in just that one area, in order to make everything seem even on top of the book paper.


Teacher Helper Wryn, Tiddly Inks

Another of my book paper ventures (and my first):

I love you Little Rabbit by Gorjuss

A good general rule of thumb: always apply the ten-foot rule.  Everything looks different when you are 12 inches away from your piece, no matter what medium you are using.  And also consider the context of the piece your are working on.  If it is a big piece, meant to be viewed from a distance, take the time before every major step and step back and view it as it is meant to be viewed as a finished piece.  This ensures your perspective is correct.

I hope you enjoy this first installment of "Reams of Remedies", the new feature on my blog.  I will add lessons learned, tips & tricks, the Dos and the Don'ts and the PLEASE GOD NOOOO's as I learn them myself.  And remember, mistakes are not mistakes to remember, they are lessons learned.

Thank you visiting, I hope to see you again soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment