Wednesday, February 7, 2018

Treasures Mixed Media Canvas with 7 Kids Craft Supply Store


Hi everyone, I have a fun mixed media project and some exciting news!  First the exciting news!  I am now a designer for 7 Kids Craft Supply Store out of South Dakota!  I was so excited when Kelly Neis asked me to be on her team, I started designing right away!


Treasures, 7 Kids Crafting Supply Store, Leah Tees



The first project I want to share with you for 7 Kids is this fun mixed media canvas. I started with an 8 x 10 burlap canvas and started gluing objects to it. I even pulled a wrecked paintbrush out of the garbage lol. There are metal embellishments, mostly things I've had in my stash for a couple years. I also added a laser cut Wycinanka Around the Steampunk Pipes chipboard piece. I glued all of these items down with Prima Finnabair Art Basics 3D Matte Gel.



Treasures, 7 Kids Crafting Supply Store, Leah Tees







When the items were glued down and solid on the canvas, I covered the canvas front and objects with two coats of gesso to make sure that everything had good coverage. I wanted to leave some of the burlap canvas showing to add to the authenticity of the piece.


Treasures, 7 Kids Crafting Supply Store, Leah Tees








When the gesso was dry, I got out my new Prima Finnabair Art Extravangza Patina Effect Pastes! Now, this is my first experience with the Patina Effects pastes, so I had to go and watch a ton of videos on Youtube, and man, did I watch a lot of videos.


Treasures, 7 Kids Crafting Supply Store, Leah Tees







I started out with the green paste, and when that was totally dry, I dry brushed the blue paste on top. Not to cover the the green paint entirely, but to hit all the high spots on the canvas. When the blue was dry, I then added the brass on top of the blue in a smaller amount, so that only the very highest spots are colored.


Treasures, 7 Kids Crafting Supply Store, Leah Tees







When the brass paste was dry, I got out another first for me, lol. I wanted to add the Prima Memory Hardware Artisan Powder in Marquise Blue. This powder is chunky, but it's water reactive, so you can sprinkle it on and spray it with water to create a chalky finish. The Artisan Powder added a lighter blue to the Patina Effect and made the piece have even more depth.


Treasures, 7 Kids Crafting Supply Store, Leah Tees






This time when the blue Artisan Powder was dry I got out my Prima Finnabair Art Alchemy Metallique Wax in Bronze Age and added a layer to the high spots as well. Then I added one more layer of the brass paste from the Patina Effects to brighten it up once more. The layers of pastes, Artisan Powder and wax created incredible depth.


Treasures, 7 Kids Crafting Supply Store, Leah Tees





To finish off this canvas, I added some white gesso to break up the color of the patina, and added some dark burlap, painted cheesecloth, and white tissue paper under the text that I wanted to use. One of my favorite ways to find text for my art is do a search of Google images with a keyword, in this case I searched "treasures from the deep quotes" and I found this fabulous quote.  









Thank you so much for stopping by, and I hope you enjoyed this project as much as I did.  I have linked all of the products that you can find in the 7 Kids Crafting Supply Store to the product pages on their website.  Kelly is super sweet and she ships as fast as she can so you never have wait too long for your fun to arrive :)  See you soon with more inspiration and products for 7 Kids!


1 comment:

  1. Oh my, my, my! You know all the texture is making me GIDDY!! Love it.... but is there really such a thing as a wrecked brush?!

    ReplyDelete