Sunday, July 17, 2016

My thoughts on Design Teams

Hello everyone, I have some thoughts I need to get out of my head, and so you are my sounding board today :)

A recent situation has prompted me to write this post, however I will NOT be naming any names or doing any finger pointing. :)  It's very unprofessional in my opinion, and also...who am I to judge what another person is going through?  We do not know the situations that cause others to make the decisions they make.  That being said, however, I do have some thoughts I would like to share with you about why I join a Design Team, why I stay on a team, and why I may leave a team (other than the obvious ones...).

So, without further adieu...let's do this, lol.  I promise to try and keep this lighthearted while also getting my point across.

Oh wait, maybe a wee bit of history first so that you understand the context.

I have always been a crafter.  Ever since I can remember, my mom was showing my sister and I how to create and grow artistically.  Crafting has always been my fun, my inspiration, and my escape as well.  When this world gets heavy and cruel, or even when I'm just happy and content, I will retreat into my creativity to make something beautiful.  To create something that not only makes me smile but may also make someone else smile.  Two years ago, I was in a low place and happened upon a lady selling some Copic markers. Being new to this genre of art, I had no idea what they were (insert chuckle here lol).  She explained them to me and we became fast friends and are still internet friends to this day.  Granted,  if she weren't at the bottom of the US,  and I wasn't smack in the middle of Canada, maybe we could meet up in person, and I'm sure we would still be great friends. :)

I have experience with color, and placement, as I taught acrylic painting for years; so soon began my journey into the wonderful world of design teams. :)  Now on to the good stuff. :)  History lesson over! :P

Why I join a Design Team
 I join a design team because I like the product or the company and because I like to be a part of something. Call it a community, a group, whatever you like.  I like to be a part of it.  I like to make new friends...scratch that...I LOVE to make new friends, and from all over the world!  Think about this for a second...before the internet we could NEVER have made the friends we make now.  Yes, we never truly know who we are talking to, but if we are careful we can still have friends from anywhere in the world!

I do NOT join a design team for the "stuff", the box of goodies that may or may not come with the prestigious DT spot.  I do NOT hinge my creativity and happiness on what I might get from this company or that company.  This is not why you should want to be on a team!  You should want to be on a team because you love what you do for the company.  Because the company loves what you do for them.  Because you totally and one hundred percent love what you do.  Not because someone else is or isn't on the team.  Not because it will make a name for you or get you a better reputation as a designer, colorist, or artist.

I join a team because I want to create with whatever they have to offer me, yes, that even means digital designs.  For me, and I suspect a lot of others ,although not all in my experience, it's about the process, not the material rewards.  The intrinsic rewards are far better than any material products.

Why I stay on a Design Team
I stay on a design team because I am happy there.  It's that simple. If it makes you happy, why change that?  What makes me happy?  Being able to create with my chosen medium (could be whatever depending on the day lol).  Being able to work ahead, cuz you never know what life will throw at you, lol...that makes me happy.  Having a great working relationship with the 'boss', the business owner, and the other team members...that makes me happy.   Having a fun-loving team of people to work with...that, that makes me happy; people I can converse with outside of the team environment.  That makes me SUPER happy.

Why do I stay on a team?  I stay on a team because the company loves what I do.  If I feel my work is not appreciated, and I don't mean material rewards, then I don't want to stay on a team.  I want to create and represent a company to the best of my ability. If I'm not able to do that with a company's products, then I will NOT stay on that team.

That is a great segue into the last portion of my thoughts on this matter...

Why I leave a Design Team
I do NOT do drama.  I do NOT cause it, and I do NOT feed it, and I do NOT want it!  I want to do what I enjoy doing without having to deal with other people's drama.  That's it, that's all.  I have left teams in the past because there was too much drama. Drama between team members, between team members and team leaders, drama between team members and company leaders.  It's all bad.

This leads me to the most important thought of the day.  Drama between between companies should never have an affect on your design team members.  Design team members should never have to decide what team they want to be on because the two companies can not see eye to eye.
What does that have to do with me?  I am essentially your employee, so...does that mean I am to suffer at your hand because you don't agree with someone else?  NO!  This is not right.  I am an artist who will go to great lengths to make sure you are happy with my work.  I would do almost anything you ask me to (barring murder of course :P), so why does your drama with another person have to cause me to choose between two teams?  This is highly unfair and unprofessional in my opinion.

PHEW!  I guess I had a lot on my mind.  You may disagree with my opinion, but remember it is MY opinion, and you are of course allowed yours. :) So, my advice to all, after all my ranting:  DO WHAT YOU LOVE TO DO...for no other reason than because YOU LOVE TO DO IT!

That is my meager wisdom on the subject. :)  Please feel free to leave a comment even if you disagree but, at the same time...please keep it drama free!  Love to all, and please:  always be creative :)



9 comments:

  1. I totally agree with you. Some people join for the wrong reasons but it works both ways as well. Some owners sometimes get lost as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could not have said it better myself!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post ..... I Think you said everything well. Ive known you a while now , and you've been nothing but kind . You have a great heart and that's one of the things I love about you .

    ReplyDelete
  4. Having been in this situation recently I totally agree with you xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post. I never thought why I am in or out a DT but I really agree with fun and happiness I take when I create for compagnies. It is most important. And without we can t do not Hong.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Honestly, I wish more people felt the way you do. You are always more than willing to do extra for no other reason than that you enjoy doing it and that's great. You are one of the most valuable members on my team, not only a designer but you help me out when I need you to and best of all a friend :). Don't let the bad apples get you down.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well said. Creativity and artistic satisfaction is in. Drama is out. As it should be. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  8. When you are right, you are right! Love you ~ Shelley

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post, beautifully written and I agree with everything you said ...100%!

    ReplyDelete